Did you know that you can DIY curl your hair with, straws, headband and even wet wipes? Curling methods vary depending on the effect you want to achieve. Check out how to curl your hair without using a curling iron! Heatless curls are easy and safe!
Hairstylists warn that too much heat is harmful. Hair straighteners, curling irons and hot rollers produce fast, long-lasting, and beautiful results. However, the moisture content of your hair is reduced and can become sensitive, rough, dry and brittle.
Does this mean you have to forget about curls? Of course not!
Why not try eco-curls. This is the term for a curly hair effect that is achieved without the use of heat (no curling iron or flat iron) and therefore minimising damage to the hair. You can also create these curls with professional hair extensions, tape in hair extensions and weave hair extensions.
Rollers - heatless curls overnight
How to curl hair without curling iron? Our grandmothers loved rollers. This is the easiest and most famous way to get curls without a curling iron.
Styling without the use of heat is of course better for our hair and can dramatically reduce the damage our hair has to go through. There are different types of rollers hard for when using heat but also soft that can use overnight. It's time to revisit this somewhat forgotten curling method, because the results may surprise you.
The advantage of curlers is that they are easy to use and of course you don’t need to add heat. Just need to be careful tying and unravelling especially with hair extensions as not to tangle the hair.
How to use rollers
In the evening, after washing your hair, separate individual strands of hair and roll them from underneath onto the soft roller. Cross the ends of the strands close to the scalp so that the hair does not unravel. Leave overnight, then in the morning, gently remove the separation from your hair. With your fingers or a wide tooth gently detangle the curls for a natural wave.
Remember if you have hair extensions do NOT sleep with wet hair as this can cause the hair to matt, cause bonds to loosen or in some case mould to grow.
Another style of rollers is the harder type, these you don’t sleep in either leave to dry naturally or with a hairdryer on a low heat to set the curls.
Waves with braids
When it comes to curling your hair without heat, a very popular method is to pop your hair in a braid and leave it overnight. At Viola, we recommend that you sleep with your hair in a braid this minimises extensions being pulled and becoming knotted.
How to get waves from braids?
It's easy! Just wash your hair in the evening and let it dry gently - it should be damp, not wet. Alternatively, spray a little water or a special curl-enhancing spray. Then braid your hair (preferably two braids, one on the left and one on the right) and go to bed. In the morning gently undone the hair, run your finger through for a relaxed wavy result. Beautiful natural waves! Please remember to dry hair fully before plating if you have hair extensions.
Natural curls from buns
Did you know that you can create beautiful curls by wearing your hair in buns? Without using heat? The effect is admittedly different from sleeping with braids, but it is also worth testing.
What type of bun is most suitable for curling hair? Double buns are great for creating loose natural curls, simply twist it into a snail bun and hold it in place with a twizzle band, this will reduce the indent left from the hairband.
Curling your hair into buns has different effects:
- The smaller the bun, the finer the curls.
- The tighter the bun, the tighter the curl.
Bun – The Bobby pin method
What can you do if you want natural-looking curls but there isn’t a curling iron to hand? Well, you can use trusty hairpins another handy method of curling hair without using heat. Unfortunately, it's not always suitable (like most) for overnight use due to the bobby pins digging into your head so just need to plan the day, e.g. 2 hours before you go out.
How do I curl my hair using bobby pins?
- Make sure hair is damp can add styling mousse.
- Comb your hair to remove any knots and tangles.
- Divide the hair into three sections to make it easier to separate individual strands.
- Starting at the top, take section depending on the size of the desired curls (more for thicker and less for smaller tighter curls)
- Starting from the ends roll hair around your finger until you reach the roots.
- Secure the small ring with a pin at the crown of your head.
- Continue this until all hair in up and pinned.
- Can blow-dry your hair at a low heat or allow it to air-dry naturally.
- Leave to dry, add hair spray.
- Start from the nape working your way up of the head gently unroll each curl.
- Once all the pins have been removed run your fingers or a wide tooth comb through instead of using a brush as it can cause the curls to drop.
Curling the hair with a headband
Alice band curls? This method can create romantic and beautiful curls. Turn your fringe into an effortless side parting.
To curl your hair using this method you of course need a soft headband, the wider the band, the bigger the curls will become. You can also get a special curling band called The Aurora Band Night Roller which leaves amazing results.
How to create curls with a headband step by step?
- Wash or moisten and then comb your hair thoroughly removing any tangles. If you have hair extensions ensure the roots and bonds are dry.
- Place the headband over your hair (not under it).
- Take a section of hair from the front and thread it up and over the band.
- Repeat until the entire strand is wrapped around the headband.
- Continue the process until all the hair is wrapped around the headband.
- You may decide to wear this while you sleep or add low heat.
- To remove slowly roll the headband down to unravel the hair.
- Comb through the hair can add hairspray to set the curls.
The bandana curls
Another way to create eco curls is with the use of a bandana, neckerchief or scarf. This is a way to have natural curls starting at the ear level instead of at the roots. The final effect looks effortless and all you need is three scarves.
Bandana curls step by step:
- Wash or dampen your hair and then comb it remember if you have extensions do not sleep with wet hair.
- Divide the hair into three equal parts (left, right and back).
- Take the middle of the bandana and wrap the hair around at a height where you want the curls to start for example at the ear either above or below.
- Using the two ends of the bandana and the hair start to braid the hair into the fabric.
- Work your way down and secure with a hair band.
- Repeat with the other two sections of hair.
- Go to bed or wait for your hair to dry.
- The remove the hair band and gently unroll the hair.
- Run hair through fingers to separate the curls.
Romantic curls using wet wipes
A very interesting way to do eco curls without using heat is with wet wipes. Although it may sound strange, this method is worth testing. The outcome all depends on how much hair you roll up - the smaller section the tighter curls, the thicker and finer the curls you get.
The method is very simple same as you would with rags. All you need to do is divide your hair into several strands same as the bobby pins or buns method, then wrap your hair around the wet wipe then tie the ends of the wipes together. This method is certainly one of the easiest ways to style your hair. It is important to choose water-based wipes which do not contain any oils or chemicals that may affect the hair especially if you have hair extensions.
What are the advantages of using wet wipes to curl your hair?
- It is a natural curling method that does require the use of heat.
- The water will help to replenish moisture.